With a new year finally upon us, it’s time to set new intentions and new skincare goals. There’s nothing quite like the excitement of improving your skincare routine to help you achieve healthy, glowing skin. Maskne be gone! We’ve curated our top skincare resolutions to help you put your best skin forward.
If you have noticed sudden changes in your skin over the last two years, we can assure you, you are not alone. With the spread of COVID-19 still very much a daily reality around the world, so is the consistent use of protective face masks to help slow the spread.
Masks naturally create a restrictive environment for excessive sweat and bacteria to build up on the skin, which can lead to acne, redness, irritation and chafing around the mouth, cheeks and jawline – otherwise known as maskne. Regular face-washing and keeping the skin hydrated may help to prevent these concerns, but try these extra tips to keep your maskne at bay:
- Your mask – first and foremost, make sure you are regularly changing or washing your mask frequently to avoid the risk of bacteria build-up. When it comes to the material of the mask, try materials such as cotton, silk or satin which cause less friction and a more ‘skin friendly’.
- Double cleanse – cleansing your skin once a day is great but going in for a second cleanse with a Gentle Cleanser during your night-time routine is highly recommended. This will ensure you can effectively remove any bacteria, dirt and oil built up throughout the day, leaving the skin feeling refreshed and restored.
- Makeup-free days – it’s time to let your skin breathe. Enjoy less or no makeup so there is less chance for clogged pores, which could lead to more breakouts. Make it fun by exploring a bold eye makeup look for your next Zoom meeting or boost your skin glow with the Retouch Highlight instead.
- Using an exfoliant – exfoliating weekly can be often overlooked in a skincare regime but trust us when we say exfoliating once or twice a week will help unclog pores and leave your skin softer and brighter, it’s a win-win. Try our Enzyme Exfoliant to assist with sweeping away dead skin cells, clarify the skin’s surface and reveal a more radiant you.
- Keep it simple – ensuring your skin is properly hydrated is an easy way to keep your skin looking and feeling healthy. If you ever feel a breakout coming on, use a simple targeted solution like the Clarity Wand to combat it directly.
- No face touching – we all subconsciously touch our face from time to time without realizing but making the conscious effort to avoid this will reduce any bacteria from transferring from your hands to your face. Adding consistent mask wearing into the mix, it creates the perfect environment for bacteria to grow and acne to spread due to the added moisture.
If your maskne persists or becomes more severe, be sure to follow up with a local skin expert or healthcare specialist.
See also: Home Care Hacks – Top Tips to Achieve In-Clinic Results at Home
MAINTAINING GLOWING AND HEALTHY-LOOKING SKIN
Skin hydration is essential for that youthful glow, but consistency is key. Set yourself up with a daily routine that allows you to achieve naturally radiant skin with ease.
- Cleanse the skin with an Intraceuticals cleanser that is best suited to your skin type. If there is any habit to create in the new year, cleansing both morning and night should be one of them. Not only does this help restore your skin’s natural balance but allows your skincare products to work to their full potential and achieve maximum results.
- Exfoliate away dead skin cells that can make your skin look dull. Massage the exfoliant into the skin for 30 seconds and leave on for 1-2 minutes before rinsing, or, have the extra time for a pamper session? Leave it on for a slightly longer period of time for your very own at-home mini peel.
- Take skin hydration to a new level with the unique Rejuvenate 3 Step Layering Regime – the perfect kickstart to achieving healthy, glowing skin. Consisting of 3 molecular weights of hyaluronic, your skin will be left deeply hydrated while giving off a dramatically toned and lifted appearance.
- Complete your routine with the illuminating Retouch Highlight. This high-performance serum gives a tighter appearance to the skin and illuminates targeted facial features to create a naturally flawless look.
See also: Why You Need Hyaluronic in Your Skincare Regime
MINIMIZING ENLARGED PORES
Minimizing pores is a very common concern for many, one that might be added to your list of skin resolutions this year. While we cannot make our pores disappear entirely, we can blur and reduce their appearance with the right skincare routine. Try these 3 simple tips to help create that smooth, flawless complexion:
- Choosing a gel-based cleanser that contains salicylic acid is so important for clear and refined skin. The Clarity Gel Cleanser and Rejuvenate Cleansing Gel are perfect for removing any excess oil, dead skin cells and impurities that can clog the pores and make them appear larger.
- Apply an oil-free moisturizer. If you find your skin is on the oily side, trying a water-based moisturizer over oil-based products will help you avoid any excessive oils from seeping its way into those pores.
- Signs of aging is a common factor for large pores due to the natural depletion of elasticity and collagen production, meaning there’s no firm skin to support your pores. Try gradually adding a retinol into your nightly skincare routine like Intraceuticals’ Vitamin A Booster to reduce fine lines, wrinkles and premature aging. This will help minimize the appearance of enlarged pores.
SCHEDULE MORE SELF-CARE RITUALS
Don’t forget to take time out for yourself this year. If 2020 has taught us one thing, it has been to slow down and make time for things that bring us joy. Continue to practice self-care when you can, whether it’s by putting on a pair of eye and lip masks and resting your eyes away from the phone or television screen, or even creating your own at-home spa day to help restore both your mind and your skin. Self-care is a must.
Discover Intraceuticals’ range of homecare solutions to help you achieve your skin goals.