Launched in 2012, Global Wellness Day, which was founded by Belgin Aksoy, who is also one of our Destination Deluxe Awards judges, was established in Turkey as the “first” day dedicated to living well, and has now been widely accepted around the world. In 2019, Global Wellness Day was celebrated simultaneously in more than 150 countries at 8,000 different locations with different events ranging from a 45K marathon to Zumba and Tai Chi sessions and visiting elderly people’s houses.
Global Wellness Day focuses on cultivating wellbeing within oneself as well as spreading the positive vibes within our communities. With the slogan “One day can change your whole life”, the event’s aim is
• To recognize the value of our lives
• To pause and think, even if for just one day of the year
• To be free from the stress of everyday city life and bad habits
• To make peace with ourselves
• To raise awareness about living well and increase motivation, not just for today, but for the remaining 364 days of the year
See also: 9 Wellness Trends for 2021
Given the current circumstances with the pandemic, which we all face at the moment, many of us ask ourselves, “What is wellness?”
According to Global Wellness Day, “Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices towards a healthy and fulfilling life. It is more than being free from illness, it is a dynamic process of change and growth. A good or satisfactory condition of existence; a state characterized by health, happiness, and prosperity; welfare.”
Feeling and looking good all starts from within. If we are happy and healthy on the inside, positive thoughts and feelings naturally flow and radiate to those around us. But this doesn’t just happen automatically. It is something we have to work towards. Embarking on the path of wellness is a conscious decision to make. Global Wellness Day points out that we need to take all components into account, including Balance, Self-Responsibility, Positivity and Proactivity, and Holism, and that we have to cultivate all these aspects of ourselves if we want to live our lives to the fullest.
Taking place internationally every second Saturday in June, this year’s 9th Global Wellness Day is happening on Saturday, June 13, 2020. Global Wellness Day will offer a 24-hour live stream of wellness activities, talks and panel discussion across various continents. The 63 Speakers include World Champion Muay Thai athlete, Janice Lyn; top plant-based Chef, Matthew Kenney; celebrity yogi and founder of Yoga Revealed, Andrew Sealy, international transformational speaker, Sah Simone; and founder of Global Wellness Day, Belgin Aksoy; and many more.
Many brands have already confirmed they will be participating, offering a myriad of free wellness activities on Global Wellness Day 2020:
- Anantara Hotels, Resorts & Spas has come up with a line-up of wellness activities around the world that will keep hotel guests engaged. See the complete list here.
- Accor will offer a webinar with a range of talks by wellness practitioners, along with a Q&A where attendees can interact. Sign up here.
- Dusit International invites guests to enjoy a weekend of health-focuses activities in Bangkok, Hua Hin and Pattaya. See the line-up here.
- Fivelements Habitat will offer a Sound Journey and a Tea Ceremony Meditation in Hong Kong. Sign up here.
- Four Seasons has also created a wonderful line-up of wellness activities you can practice at some of their hotels and resorts around the world. See the complete list here.
- Mandarin Oriental will also offer a 24-hour live stream on Instagram highlighting a myriad of wellbeing experiences at its hotels around the world. See the full line-up here.
- Rosewood will offer 24 hours of virtual wellness activations on their Instagram @rosewoodhotels from 13 of their hotels, including Asaya Hong Kong.
- Skincare company Subtle Energies will replay their recent online International Ayurveda & Yoga Conference free of charge.
- The Retreat at The Sukhothai Shanghai will offer a Singing Bowl session on the day. Sign up here.
- The Upper House in Hong Kong will offer a range of activities over the weekend of June 13 and 14. The line-up includes yoga, meditation, sound bath, Barre-Pilates and HIIT classes, along with a guided Running Club. Sign up here.
Don’t know which activity to join? Why not organize your very own Global Wellness Day event?