Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa by L’Occitane is a fully sustainable eco village resort harmoniously set above Bali’s longest river. Start your sojourn at the open-air reception area where friendly staff welcome guests with refreshingly cool towels and delicious, cold drinks while overlooking a beautiful, green valley. Let yourself melt under a delectable massage in one of the renowned treehouse spa treatment rooms, embark upon a wondrous butterfly tour with the in-house Butterfly Concierge, hike through tranquil rice paddies, practice morning poolside yoga, visit temples and caves, raft along the Ayung River, learn Balinese dance, and pass time daydreaming by the pool while wistfully watching the clouds dance by. Dine at the romantic exclusive table atop the Lobby Pond, in the secluded Bird Nest, or Jungle Gazebo. Visitors may come solo, with partners, and in groups.
ON THE WINGS OF A BUTTERFLY
In the local language, “Kupu Kupu” means “butterfly”, an ethereal creature both delicate and strong. Hundreds of native species of butterflies abound in the Kedewatan district in Ubud. Join Darma, Kupu Kupu Barong’s resident local butterfly expert, on a unique adventure tour following the path of the butterflies through tranquil rice paddies, colourful temples and mystical caves of the Ayung valley.
EAT, PRAY, LOVE
Kupu Kupu Barong offers many delightful foods with plenty of healthy options like healthy juices made from seasonal, local fruits and vegetables. Relax over meals and afternoon tea at La View Restaurant overlooking the Ayung River, Tamiang Restaurant, or exclusive and secluded tables at the Lobby Pond, Bird Nest, and Jungle Gazebo. Grow your culinary skills with Indonesian cooking classes.
Kupu Kupu Barong’s setting in a jungle offers quiet, natural surroundings to soothe the soul and re-energise the spirit, whether via yoga classes, meditation, reflection, or contemplative strolls admiring the flora. Although Wi-Fi is readily available, the peaceful, green environment invites visitors to set down the digital devices and just breathe and destress. Bali is a mystical island where temples abound and the Kupu Kupu Barong staff is happy to help set up tours to explore and learn about various temples and water purification ceremonies and venues.
Kupu Kupu Barong offers a beautiful, romantic place for engagements and weddings. Ask about their tailored packages to make events extra special. Solo guests can destress and reconnect with themselves. Families and groups also enjoy the unparalleled environment.
Indulge in the Forever Young Package which includes a 3-night stay in a River View Pool Villa with daily breakfast for two persons, yoga, dinner one evening at the exclusive treetop Bird Nest, 90-minute Divine Spa Treatments per person, daily 30-minute Immortelle Facial application for two, “28 Days Divine Renewal Program” kit by L’Occitane for one person, and one couple’s lunch with the Special Flower Menu which is an initiation to vegetarian cuisine. This special package is priced at US$1250.00. Make it 4 nights for US$1499.00. Longer stay packages are available.
Pool View Suites start at US$172.00 per night.
Villas start at US$224.00 per night.
Pool Villas start at US$267.00 per night.
All stays include complimentary Afternoon Tea at La View Restaurant, and discounts on food and beverages, spa treatments and laundry.
WHAT WE LOVE
- Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Spa by L’Occitane is a slice of paradise on Earth. A French architect thoughtfully created the resort to fit the natural landscape, preserving as much of the breathtaking wonders of the Ayung River jungle as possible. The soothing sights, sounds and smells of nature allow one’s body, mind and spirit to reground, reconnect and restore.
- Treehouse spa treatment rooms are amazing so book well in advance with The Mango Tree Spa by L’Occitane. Let your muscles and tension melt away under the expert hands of a massage therapist while birds chirp and sing around you and the Ayung River rapids gently gurgle below.
- Dip in and then lounge by the private villa pool, looking out over the green, green valley.
- Meals at the Lobby Pond and the Bird Nest are very special.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Surrounded by jungle, you might hear the sounds of white water rafters enjoying the Ayung River rapids below.
- Private butlers actively assist your every need with a smile, including providing transport by golf cart from one end of the resort to the other; hearing that you “love coffee” in casual conversation, and then making sure there is plenty extra in-room coffee for you; and gently pointing you in the right direction multiple times as you wander delightfully along the resort paths. Professional, unobtrusive, anticipatory, warm, friendly service that really makes one feel well taken care of.
- There is shuttle bus service to Ubud centre from 9 AM to 6 PM. The helpful staff can also assist in making alternate arrangements for transport.
- The Lobby Pond and Bird Nest are particularly beloved venues for engagements. At night, flower petals and candlelight outline the path to these exclusive tables.
39 private luxury villas, most with private pools. Some villas are large enough for families and some are duplex villas.
There is a main pool with bar for resort guests. Most private villas also have their own pools.
Spa treatments are a definite draw with The Mango Tree Spa by L’Occitane which was nominated for several awards categories in the AsiaSpa Awards. Although there is a main building and boutique, the treehouse treatment rooms are especially recommended. Read our separate review about the Spa here (coming soon).
TRAVEL IN STYLE
Guests dress in relaxed clothing. Resort chic for dinner.
WHEN YOU SHOULD GO
High season from July – September, and December – January (Christmas – New Year).
Rainy season from November – March.