Located in the lush Malaysian rainforest with its incredibly rich flora and fauna, The Datai Langkawi offers jaw-dropping views of the Andaman sea. Over two decades ago, famous architect Kerry Hill designed and built The Datai to honour nature, preserving the stunning coastline whilst creating a luxurious masterpiece. Now, the Datai Langkawi continues to blend seamlessly into the surrounding ancient jungle with even more luxurious facilities and amenities.
Guests’ activities at The Datai will be unmatched, think non-motorized water sports, including sailing and boogie boards (free of charge), and mountain bikes on which you can discover the beautiful island of Langkawi. A private beach, tennis courts, swimming pools, a gym located next to the beach and an exclusive 18-hole championship golf course are all waiting for you to be explored at The Datai.
Nature lovers can indulge in naturalist-guided tours around the rainforest, as well as special morning and evening walks. For a more physically challenging experience, guests can opt for jungle trekking which can be customized according to the guest’s fitness level. Jungle trekking is also available for families with children.
There is also a Butterfly Garden which attracts some of the island’s 530 species of butterflies due to its chosen nectar and caterpillar food plants, and guests also have the chance to spot 60 different species of birds which call the Teluk Datai area home.
The resort also boasts a cooking school where guests can learn new skills ranging from permaculture garden cultivation to preparing new dishes. Guests can choose between Thai, Indian or Malay cooking classes.
Furthermore, The Datai Langkawi’s pristine beach and azure waters provide the perfect opportunity to try water sports, such as snorkeling kayaking, standup paddleboarding, windsurfing and sailing.
The Spa, which won “Best Eco-Spa of the Year” at the Destination Deluxe Awards 2023, offers sensory journeys of wellbeing through relaxation and rejuvenation. Focusing on aligning wellness with nature, The Spa’s signature treatments are in sync with the resort’s natural surroundings and incorporate the healing plants and herbs found in the rainforest; adopting age-old traditions and rituals of the Malay culture known as Ramuan.
In addition to five spa treatment villas offering Ramuan-based treatments, VOYA skincare delivers holistic skincare experiences, creating inner balance and external radiance, while Bastien Gonzalez mani-pedis focus on the health and natural beauty of nails, hands and feet.
Furthermore, guests can soothe their souls at The Nature Centre’s lounge where specially curated teas, herbs and spices relax and uplift.
From the restorative powers of walking along the resort’s trails, to cooking with freshly picked herbs in The Dapur cooking class, all its activities are sensory pleasures.
SUITES & VILLAS
The Canopy Collection rooms and suites are located in the main buildings. This is a good choice for guests who like to be near the main pool and the lobby lounge.
The Rainforest Collection villas are situated on stilts, deep inside the lush tropical rainforest above and near a stream that runs through the property.
Set on the white-sand beach of Datai Bay with the rainforest as a backdrop, each of the 13 One-Bedroom Beach Villas and the one Two-Bedroom Beach Villa are fully enclosed within individual lush gardens that open on to a pristine beach and are perfect for guests seeking privacy with full butler service.
WHAT WE LOVE
- Datai Bay’s idyllic white sand beach is awarded by National Geographic as one of the top 10 beaches worldwide.
- The Datai has its very own Permaculture garden. The Garden is home to an innovative and sustainable zero-waste organic food production system that includes a closed-loop waste management process, a wide variety of fruit, vegetables, herbs and honey from its beehives used by the kitchens and cooking classes, and even traditional ingredients used by the spa in its authentic wellness rituals. The Garden represents a ground-breaking step in the resort’s continuous journey towards sustainability and self-sufficiency.
- The Lab, which is a creative workshop space, was built with a total of 7,968 used wine, champagne, beer and liquor bottles, while the interior and exterior back wall is made out of 280kg of crushed plastic. Guests can participate in a range of craft-making workshops whilst also learning how these activities contribute towards preserving the natural environment.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The resort is situated in the middle of the jungle. It’s perfect for nature enthusiasts but not ideal for city lovers.
- In order to reduce the negative impact of its footprint on the environment, the resort has formed The Datai Pledge to create a sustainable environment for the future. The Datai Pledge consists of four pillars: Pure for the Future; Wildlife for the Future; Fish for the Future; and Youth for the Future. The Datai engaged thought leaders and innovators in their particular field of sustainability, and also partnered with local NGOs and developed bespoke activities to achieve the objectives of each pillar.
The Datai Langkawi has three pools. The Adult Pool is located in the main building with a spectacular view of the rainforest canopy, the Andaman Sea and Tarutao island beyond on the horizon.
The Family Pool is just a few steps from the beach and also has a Toddler Pool and wading area.
WHEN YOU SHOULD GO
Dry season lasts from November to April. September to October is monsoon season.
A Canopy Deluxe room starts at US$523. The Rainforest Villa starts at US$670.
THE DATAI LANGKAWI
Jalan Teluk Datai
07000 Pulau Langkawi
Kedah Darul Aman
Tel: +60 4 9500 500